Week of November 11th, 2018
ESV Genesis 34:30 “ Then Jacob said to Simeon and Levi, “You have brought trouble on me by making me stink to the inhabitants of the land, the Canaanites and the Perizzites. My numbers are few, and if they gather themselves against me and attack me, I shall be destroyed, both I and my household.”
Read Genesis 34 everyday this week. After reading please reflect on the corresponding question(s) for each day listed below.
- 12th: v. 34:1-7 – If you were a relative of Dinah, how would you respond to what happened to her? Why is it that what Shechem did is considered an outrageous thing?
- 13th:v. 34:8-12 – Would it be a good thing to make marriages with the people of Shechem? Why is Shechem willing to pay any bride price for Dinah?
- 14th:v. 34:13-17 – Regardless of Shechem’s sin, is the response of the sons of Jacob God honoring? Why or why not?
- 15th: v. 34:18-24 – How did Hamor and Shechem respond to the demands? What was the real reason why Hamor was willing to consent to the sons of Jacobs demands?
- 16th: v. 34:25-29 – Was it right for the sons of Jacob to take vengeance in this way? Can you think of any situations in your life where you were wronged or defrauded and were tempted to take matters into your own hands in order to ensure justice?
- 17th: v. 34:30-31 – How does Jacob respond to his son’s actions? Is his response right?